Be Good To Your Heart This Valentine’s Day
This month, we not only celebrate Valentine’s Day, but we also celebrate American Heart Month. The annual celebration began in 1963 to encourage Americans to join the battle against heart disease. Senior Solutions is here to remind you to show your heart some love!
Know The Facts
- 17.3 million deaths each year are caused by heart disease. Seniors are especially prone to cardiovascular complications. Learn about heart health to protect against this threat.
- In 1964, more than half of American deaths were the result of cardiovascular disease. Although this percentage has decreased, heart disease is still the leading cause of death in the United States.
- Every February is designated as American Heart Month by the federal government to encourage individuals to learn about, prevent, and address heart problems. Since seniors are especially at risk, it is important that caregivers understand heart disease.
Top Tips For Preventing Heart Disease
- Quit smoking
- Eat a balanced heart-healthy diet
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Reduce sources of stress
- Exercise regularly
- Watch for signs of change in heart and health